Saturday, October 07, 2006

Easy Chicken and Dumplings

I decided to try some new recipes. I have never made Chicken and Dumplings before. I came across the recipe in "Kitchen Comforts by Gay Boassey", a cookbook that I picked up at a book sale at work. I tried to find someplace online that sold it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, when I figured out that it only had 3 points per serving, I decided it was worth a shot. It was relatively simple to make, and it was super yummy.

Easy Chicken and Dumplings
1 rotisserie chicken (traditional or
herb)
3 cans fat free chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tbsp salt (we will actually reduce this to 1 tbsp next time we make it,
it was a little salty)
1 cup fat free half-and-half dash pepper

DUMPLINGS
2 cups flour
1/2 cup plus milk

Remove all meat from chicken; discard skin and bones. Place broth,
water, salt and chicken meat in a large soup pot and bring to a rolling
boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.

Mix dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl until stiff dough
forms. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch
thick. Cut into strips.

Return broth to a boil. Holding strip of dough in your hand, pinch
into 1-inch pieces and drop into boiling broth until all strips are dropped in
broth. Lower heat to medium-high and cook for 10 minutes.Add half-and-half
and sprinkle with pepper.

Serves 8 (3 points per serving)

No comments: