Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lunch Experiment: FlatOut Pizza

I decided to try something new at lunch today, so I thought I would make it a blog post. Heh. It was kind of fun. Disclaimer. I am not a great cook. I fail more than I succeed. I'm also not a great photographer. This was strictly for my entertainment. :)


I've seen a number of people mention FlatOut breads when they are talking about low points recipes. My Kroger only had one kind (the sun-dried tomato variety), so that is what I got. Imagine pita that has been stretched out.

First things first, the ingredients.


hmmmm, something is missing here . . . oh yeah, the cheese! For someone who is known as the cheese-eater, you wouldn't have expected me to miss the cheese. By the time I remembered, I had already started cutting up the ingredients. Too late for a re-take.

Step 1. Bake a single piece of FlatOut bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.


Step 2. While baking, chop up the toppings.


There's the cheese. :) I used 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 of a red onion, and 1 roma tomato. I saved the rest of the toppings for tomorrow's lunch.


Step 3. After the bread has been cooked for 7 minutes, spread the spaghetti/pizza sauce over the bread as close to the edges as you can get. Sprinkle with cheese and then toppings.


Step 4. Return to 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.


This is the finished product:

It doesn't really look that different from the pre-cooked version because there are so many toppings.


All in all, it was quite tasty. And only 7 points for the whole thing. Which is about what my Lean Cuisine meals usually end up being. But this was a lot tastier.


Now I just have to figure out some other things to use the FlatOut bread for . . . .

2 comments:

Natalie said...

They make mini flat-outs that i use to make wraps with some turkey and cheese for lunches - quick, yummy and EASY! :)

Erica said...

We do wrap sandwiches. You can fit a whole bunch of veggies inside those with some shopped up chicken or turkey left over from dinner the night before.

You can do a mexican theme as well, using anything you'd put on a taco.