Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2009 COMPLETED


I have completed this challenge a few days earlier. I got kind of bogged down in the last book, but it finally came through. Doing this I discovered that I like historical fiction that is about an actual time period better than historical fiction about an acutal historical figure. In other words, I like the made up characters set in a real historical event/period.
Celia Garth (5 out 5 stars) is set during the American Revolution. One of my all time favorite books. I also found out that it was recently re-released, so I went ahead and bought it instead of waiting for it from the library.
Into the Wilderness (4 out of 5 stars) was quite good. It is set in 1792. It was a little slow to start, but once it started, it kept my attention without any problem. The begining felt a little stiff, but the kinks were worked out soon enough.
The Constant princess (2 out of 5 stars) was okay. I've enjoyed the authors other books about Henry VIII, but this one (about Katherine of Aragorn) just didn't hold my attention like the others. She used a different format (some in first person, some in third) and when it was going back and forth between the two, it didn't feel very smooth. Plus, since I had already read the other books (The Other Boelyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance) I already knew the general story.

No comments: