Monday, November 24, 2008

Real Simple Holiday Card Quiz

In the most recent episode there was a holiday-card quiz. I need some motivation to get my Christmas cards out on time, so I thought I would take this quiz over the next month and see how I do. I'm pretty sure I will fail miserably, because I haven't sent out cards regularly for the past few years. At any rate, I think it will be fun. If you want to do this with me, go ahead an post a comment. If we get more than 10 people to join, maybe I'll have a fun prize for the winner. We'll keep a running total and then on Dec 31st, I'll declare a winner!

"When the season's greetings start rolling in, tally up the points for each card you recieve and check your holiday karma"

Gain Points when you recieve cards from:
  • Dentist, insurance agent, hairdresser, dry cleaner, mailman +0.5
  • Your own mother +0.5
  • Another Relative +1
  • Friend via e-mail +0.5
  • Your boss +1
  • Friend you see at least once a week +1
  • Above, with reference to an inside joke +3
  • Long-distance friend, devoid of any personal message +2
  • Above, with personal message of at least three lines +5
  • Anyone who includes a handwritten personal note of more than five sentences +5
  • Long-lost who hasn't been heard from in 20 years +10

Lose Points when:

  • Card and envelope are same piece of paper -1
  • Signature is imprinted rather than handwritten inside card -2
  • Photo is of a helpless pet in a holiday costume -3
  • Your name is spelled incorrectly -4
  • Card plays annoying music that you can't turn off -4
  • Card is the same one you recieved last year -6
  • Return-address label was provided by charity to which sender may not have actually contributed -7
  • Family newsletter contains words such as gallbladder, spleen, and gout -8
  • Family newsletter is from ex who is (not so) subtly gloating over his recent wedding and cushy new job -10
  • Long lost friend who hasn't been heard from in 20 years asking for money or a place to live -20

Bonus Points:

  • Gilded envelope +0.5
  • Handwritten return address +1
  • Card in which all family members appear to have signed their own names +2
  • Newsletter or family photo in card +2
  • Card with moving parts +3
  • Extremely clever handmade card +4
  • Oversize card requiring extra postage +5
  • Card sent from foreign country +6
  • Newsletter with humor at progeny's expense +8
  • Card with check, cash, or gift certificate +20

Even if it is just me particpating I will post my scores periodically :)

No comments: