Monday, February 09, 2009

Working From Home

For those of you that don't know, my employer recently decided to start a work-at-home pilot program for my team. They picked two of us to test it, and I was one of the lucky two! This has been in the works for well over 6 months, and I had been not-so-patiently waiting for it to start. The first few days were VERY stressfull, because when we had a problem, it was hard to determine if it was us, the computer, the connection, the secure line to work, the program, etc. As we have gotten to be more familiar with how it all goes together, it has been much smoother. We still have a few kinks, but they are being addressed. Hopefully it won't be long before the rest of our team is working from home as well!

Right now, I work from home 4 out 5 days. On the fifth day, I go into UK to work. It has actually been nice, because the one day that I'm at UK, I get to get out and about, and see people, and run any errands after work. Plus, we found out that our offices will be moving offsite, so when that happens, I won't have to worry about paying for parking anymore. My job is exactly the same. I'm tied to my computer via my headphones, and I troubleshoot over the phone all day. But now, I have a window and comfy clothes, and a relaxing envioronment. Positives all the way around! It has actually already been a benefit to UK as well. One day a few weeks ago, UK lost power for 5+ minutes, and the rest of my team weren't available to answer calls because they didn't have electricity, but since I wasn't there, I was able to keep answering calls from the rest of UK that didn't lose power. :) So far my stats are staying high, and I'm able to answer just as many calls now as I did before.

No comments: